Here is a perfect recipe for these chilly days...well they are chilly in Boston. We made this Northern style cornbread and gave it a healthy makeover with extra virgin olive oil and honey, instead of sugar, as a sweetener. We love it with chili!
- 10-inch cast iron skillet or 9x8 baking pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking power
- ½ cup Butter Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Franklin Raw Honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place your 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven while the oven preheats. If you are using a baking pan, do not preheat it.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, ¾ cup yellow cornmeal, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- In another mixing bowl, add ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, ½ cup honey, 2 eggs and 1 ¼ cups buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Do not over mix. There will be a few lumps.
- Remove cast iron pan from the oven and grease with olive oil. If you are using a baking pan, grease with olive oil and dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan and place in oven.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. The cornbread is done when a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. The top should be golden brown, the center not wobbly, and the sides should pull in from the edges of the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
We serve this with warm honey and butter on the side. If you want to avoid butter altogether, serve with an olive oil-based spread.