- 2-3 lb trimmed beef short ribs
- 2 Tbsp robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup Blackberry Ginger Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups stout-style dark beer
- 4-6 cups beef stock
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a frying pan, brown the short ribs on all sides in the olive oil. It should take about 10 minutes per batch.
- Remove from frying pan and place in a small roasting pan, just big enough to hold everything, bone side up.
- Chop the onion and garlic, add to the frying pan, and sautee until soft and golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the balsamic and tomato paste to deglaze the pan, scraping any bits from the bottom. Pour this over the short ribs. Add the beer and enough beef stock to completely cover the meat.
- Cover the ribs tightly with two layers of foil to prevent any steam from escaping, and place in the oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and let rest in the cooking vessel for 15 minutes. Pile high on a serving platter, reserving drippings.
- Remove 2 cups of drippings from the roasting pan and place in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce and use as a gravy if desired. Enjoy!