Tom Kha Ga Soup (Chicken)
- 1 piece ginger, peeled (1”)
- 10 makrut (Thai) lime leaves ~or~ 1 Tbsp. Persian lime EVOO
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 8 oz. shiitake, oyster, or maitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps cut (bite-size or full size)
- 4 red hot chili peppers (or more if you like for garnish)
- 1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer layers removed
- Baklouti Chili Olive Oil (for drizzle), Cilantro leaves with tender stems, and lime wedges (optional) for garnish
- Using the back of a knife, lightly smash lemongrass and ginger; cut lemongrass into 4” pieces. Bring lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, and broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat and simmer until flavors are melded, 8–10 minutes. Strain broth into clean saucepan; discard solids.
- Add chicken and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add mushrooms, and simmer, skimming occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, and mushrooms are soft, 20–25 minutes. Mix in coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Divide soup among bowls. Serve with chili oil, chili peppers, cilantro, and lime wedges.