Lemon Ricotta Cookies
An easy and yummy ricotta cookies recipe made with olive oil instead of butter and ricotta cheese. Crispy golden bottom and fluffy in the center. Can be topped with a lemon glaze and poppy seeds sprinkle.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Lemon Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or the seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup poppy seeds (optional)
LEMON GLAZE (optional)
- 1 large lemon juiced and zested
- 2 cups Powder sugar + more as needed
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg with the sugar, vanilla extract, and EVOO until creamy. Add the ricotta cheese and whisk together until incorporated. Whisk in the juice and zest from 1 lemon then pour all the wet ingredients on top of the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula fold the wet mixture into the dry until combined.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and using two spoons drop the cookie dough by spoonful on the sheet leaving about 1 ½ inch space in between.
- Bake the ricotta cookies in the preheated oven for about 17 to 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- Using a small cookie spatula transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Once the ricotta cookies have cooled off completely, make your lemon glaze by whisking together the juice from 1 lemon with the powder sugar. Add more powder sugar if needed, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Using a small spoon add some of the glaze to each ricotta cookie and sprinkle with the reserved lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Allow to glaze to set for about 45 minutes. Store in an airtight container.