Blackberry Ginger and Lime Scones
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold, coarsely shredded or cut into little cubes)
- ½ cup Blackberries (washed and dried)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Persian Lime Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Zest of one lime
- Preheat oven to 500℉
- In glass cup stir together vinegar and milk. Let stand to thicken a bit for about 5 minutes.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and sprinkle a bit of flour lightly in two 6-inch circles.
- In medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal or fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the Blackberries
- Add the egg and oil to the soured milk and whisk together; remove 1 tablespoon of the mixture to use as an egg wash.
- With a large fork stir the wet mixture
- Do the final mixing with your hand; the dough should not be sticking to your hand or the bowl. Do not knead; there's no need to knead!
- Divide the dough into two roughly equal smooth balls and place them on the floured circles and gently pat the dough, dusting with flour as needed, into two 5.25- to 5.5-inch (14 cm) rounds.
- Take a moment to make sure your discs are smooth and flat, almost 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick, and have smooth, straight edges. With a bench scraper or long sharp knife, cut each round into 8 wedges. Pull the wedges out and space them an inch or two apart.
- With silicone pastry brush, brush tops only with the reserved tablespoon of milk-egg mixture. Place in oven, and immediately reduce oven temperature to 400F. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix Glaze ingredients together and drizzle on cooled scones.
- Put on the kettle and make a proper cup of tea.