- 1 pound #4 phyllo thawed and at room temperature
- 12 ounces butter, melted
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Garnish: confectioner's sugar, ground cinnamon, and ½ cup raisins (optional)
The Apple Filling:
- 10 apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Butter Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 and ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ - ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Pear Dark Balsamic Vinegar
Make the Filling:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO and all of the remaining filling ingredients except for the cream.
- Cook the filling until it thickens. Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream.
- Mix and set aside to cool completely. The filling can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Assemble the pastries:
- Remove the phyllo from its packaging and cut it into 4–6-inch squares.
- Layer 6 phyllo squares over each other and drizzle them in between with melted butter. Place a tablespoon of the apple filling in the center of each stack of squares. Fold the edges towards the center and brush the top with melted butter.
- Place the pastries on baking trays that have been lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the tops with some granulated sugar.
- The unbaked pastries can be frozen for up to 3 months. Store them in the freezer either tightly wrapped once they have frozen solid or transfer them to freezer-safe containers.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F
- Bake the trays on the center rack for about 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle tops of pastries with raisins (optional)