Pasta e Fagioli is a hearty and delicious stew-like soup that’s filled with pasta, beans, and Italian sausage. It's loaded with so much flavor, lots of veggies, and pairs great with crusty bread! This recipe is a favorite of mine and always brings back fond childhood memories of our annual family Christmas parties.
- 1 tablespoon Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil extra for drizzling
- 1-pound Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Little Italy Herb blend
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Habanero Pepper Flakes
- 28 oz. peeled tomatoes chopped; juice reserved
- Parmesan rind
- 15 ½ ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces ditalini or other small pasta
- 2 cups sliced baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook, breaking the sausage into chunks. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and juice; stir to combine. Add the Parmesan rind, beans and 1 cup of the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining chicken broth and 1 cup of water. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard the cheese rind. Turn off the heat, add the spinach to the pot and stir until wilted. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with parsley, grated Parmesan, and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.