For the cookies:
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose, plus more for dusting)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 oz. at room temperature)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Cara Cara Orange Vanilla Balsamic Vinegar
For the glaze & garnish:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (plus more as needed)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup pistachios (chopped)
- To make the cookies, in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, pulse the pistachios until finely ground. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and pulse until fully combined. Set it aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, add the olive oil and beat until combined, about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and balsamic and beat on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Gather the dough, shape it into a disk, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Preheat an oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough about ¼ inch (6 mm) thick. Using the desired-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. (Any dough scraps can be rewrapped and refrigerated while the cookies are baking.) Gently slide a metal spatula underneath each cookie and transfer to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Put the first baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes. After the dough has chilled, put the first baking sheet in the oven, then put the second sheet in the freezer. Repeat with the leftover dough.
- Bake the cookies 1 sheet at a time until they are just beginning to brown on the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely on the sheet.
- To make the glaze, in a bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and 2 teaspoons lemon juice until smooth. Add the cream 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until a thin glaze forms. (If the glaze still seems too thick, add more lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking after each addition.) Spread the glaze over the cookies and sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Makes 18 to 24 cookies.
Recipe by Sarah Kieffer, creator of The Vanilla Bean Blog