- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest about one large lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest about one large orange
- 1 cups ricotta cheese at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 8-inch cake pans with spray, parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the olive oil and the sugar on medium speed in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for one minute. Stir in the lemon and orange zests.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and the ricotta, starting and finishing with the flour. Combine until incorporated.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the three cake pans (about 16 ounces of batter in each pan) and bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, you can cover with plastic wrap and store in your refrigerator overnight or freezer for longer.
- Serve with homemade whipped cream.
--- Adapted from cakebycourtney