Perfect for last minute entertaining, toasts are topped with a sweet and tangy mascarpone cheese and a blueberry compote with hints of balsamic vinegar and fresh basil, a delicious flavor combination.
- 18 (1/4-inch thick) French baguette slices
- 1 Tbs. Persian Lime Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbs. Blueberry Aged Dark Balsamic
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 12 Tbs. mascarpone cheese
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (or chopped strawberries) for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Brush bread slices with olive oil. Arrange on baking sheet and bake until crisp and toasted, 8-10 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in medium non-stick skillet, heat blueberries, vinegar and sugar just until blueberries are tender, and a sauce forms, 4-5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Top toasts with mascarpone cheese (about 2 teaspoons per toast) and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with balsamic blueberry mixture and fresh basil/strawberry.
--- adapted from Blueberry Highbush Council
So good! This summer’s go-to appetizer is light and delicious.