- 2 slices of rustic bread (such as ciabatta or sourdough)
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- 4-6 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Traditional Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the bread slices until they are golden and slightly crispy. This can be done in a toaster, on a grill, or in a skillet.
- Once toasted, drizzle a generous amount of EVOO over one side of each bread slice.
- Start by placing a few basil leaves on one slice of the toasted bread.
- Layer with tomato slices. Lightly season the tomato slices with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the slices of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze over the mozzarella for added flavor. If you prefer a sweeter touch, the balsamic glaze is a great option.
- Top with more fresh basil leaves.
- Place the second slice of bread on top, with the EVOO-drizzled side facing in.
- Press down gently to help the sandwich stick together.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the sandwich in half or into quarters, depending on your preference.
- erve immediately, with a side salad or some potato chips if desired.