For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons Wild Mushroom and Sage Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14 oz each) of quality diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) of tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh sage leaves, for garnish
For the wild mushroom flavor boost (optional):
- 1/2 cup dried wild mushrooms (like porcini), rehydrated and chopped
- Additional wild mushroom and sage extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- In a large pot, heat the wild mushroom and sage extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with their juice and add the tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable or chicken broth to the pot along with the sugar. If using, add the rehydrated and chopped wild mushrooms for an extra umami flavor. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup directly in the pot to your desired consistency. Alternatively, you can use a regular blender, working in batches if necessary.
- If you prefer a creamier soup, stir in the heavy cream at this point. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh sage leaves and a drizzle of wild mushroom and sage extra virgin olive oil.
- Pair with a crusty piece of bread or a hearty grilled cheese sandwich for a comforting meal.
Enjoy this rich and aromatic tomato soup, enhanced with the unique flavor of wild mushroom and sage extra virgin olive oil!