Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque
Fall is my favorite time of year...this Bisque is Delish! Freeze for lunch :-)
Yields: 2 quarts
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 red apples, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (any variety)
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups apple cider
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 parsley leafs
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together the squash, carrot and apple and spread across two baking pans. Roast until well browned (about 40 minutes). Set aside.
- In a pot, heat oil. Then, add onion and garlic. Lower heat to medium and cook until slightly browned and translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add roasted squash, carrot and apple to saucepan. Pour in apple cider, vegetable stock, thyme and bay leaf and return to medium-high heat. Simmer until all vegetables are soft. Discard bay leaves.
- Puree (using a blender or an immersion blender) and taste for seasoning, adding a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Garnish with parsley leafs
Adapted from Boston Chefs