This easy carrot soup recipe is a great way to use up a bag of carrots that were forgotten in your produce drawer. The carrots cook together with aromatics like onions, garlic and fresh herbs before being puréed into a silky-smooth soup that's delicious for dinner or packed up for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- 5 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup half-and-half (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dash of Little Italy Herb Blend
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in carrots. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Pour in your favorite cup or bowl and sprinkle herb blend