For the Pie
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (around 2 lbs), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, grated
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Unbaked Pie Crust (9 inches)
For the Maple Balsamic Whipped Cream
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp Maple Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place sweet potato chunks in a large pot and fill with water until they are covered.
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender, around 20-30 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the water and allow them to cool.
- Mash the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the granulated sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix well to combine.
- Gradually add the milk, continuing to mix until the filling is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the unbaked pie crust.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the maple syrup, maple balsamic vinegar, and sugar while continuing to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Once the pie is cool, dollop or pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the whipped cream before serving, if desired.