This delicious recipe is adapted from our favorite cookbook: The Olive Oil and Vinegar Lover's Cookbook
For The Cake:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup Lemon fused olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
For The Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp Lemon fused olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan.You can use a 9x5-inch loaf pan if you prefer. Just increase the cooking time by 5 minutes.
- To make the cake, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the brown sugar with the olive oil and eggs until frothy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over top, and fold in with a wooden spoon or spatula to form a soft batter. Add the milk and stir to combine, then fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Tap the pan on the counter several times to ensure the batter is level, and to remove any air bubbles.
- To make the streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, and zest. Drizzle in the olive oil and stir to combine into a coarse crumb mixture. Sprinkle this evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, run a knife around the outside, and remove the sides of the pan. Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: Garnish with whatever fresh fruit you have, we used strawberries!