Try these adorable meringue ghosts for a spooky addition to your cake or cupcakes, or as a sweet treat on their own!
- 4 large egg whites– room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine or caster sugar.
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Cara Cara Orange Vanilla White Balsamic
- 1 tube store bought black decorating icing
- Preheat oven to 200º
- Place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare a pastry bag by fitting it with a ½ inch plain tip.
- Place the egg whites in an electric mixer.
- Using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer and beat the egg whites on medium-low speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue mixing the whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Add sugar slowly while mixing continually.
- Beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Beat in the vanilla extract & balsamic
- **To test if the meringue is done, rub a little between your thumb and finger. If it still feels gritty then the sugar has not fully dissolved; continue beating until it feels smooth.
- To secure the parchment paper on the cookie sheet, place a dab of meringue under each corner.
- Spoon the meringue into the pastry bag and pipe 2-3-inch-high mounds of meringue on the parchment paper.
- Bake meringue ghosts for 90 minutes. They should be dry and crisp on the outside.
- Turn off the oven, crack the oven door open and leave meringues in the oven several hours or overnight to dry.
- Once meringues have cooled, add black decorative icing to make eyes and mouth