- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 Tbsp cold vegetable shortening
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 4-6 Tbsp ice cold water
- 7 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Blueberry Aged Dark Balsamic
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Franklin Raw Honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
For the crust:
- Process first four ingredients in a food processor until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- With processor running, gradually add 4 Tablespoons ice cold water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until dough forms into a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Add up to 2 Tablespoons more water if necessary.
- Halve dough and flatten into disks, then wrap in plastic wrap Chill for 2 hours
For the filling:
- Place 1 cup of blueberries in a large bowl, crush with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the cornstarch and vinegar until cornstarch dissolves.
- Stir the remaining filling ingredients into the crushed berry mixture.
- Unwrap 1 disk of the chilled dough, and place on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle with flour. Roll to 1/8 inch thick
- Fit dough into greased (with Butter) 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Repeat rolling procedure with remaining dough disk, then cut it into 12-14 (1/2 inch wide) strips. Remove scraps but do not discard.
- Pour fruit mixture into piecrust. Dot with butter cubes. Arrange pie crust strips into a lattice design over filling. Trim excess dough.
- Brush entire pie with remaining egg mixture. Freeze 20 minutes until dough is firm.
- While pie is freezing, preheat oven to 425 F. Bake pie on a foil lined sheet for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 F, bake 20 minutes more. Cover pie with foil to prevent excessive browning and bake 25-30 minutes (about 65-70 minutes total), or until crust is golden and filling bubbles in center.
- Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!
This delicious recipe is adapted from The TODAY Show