I know this sounds complicated and it is normally something I would not do, but I fell in love with the way these looked! Wait for it…you will too!
For the dough
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Instant yeast
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Pomegranate Balsamic
- ½ cup Warm milk
For the filling
- 2 tbsp butter(melted/softened)
- 4-5 tbsp sugar
For the Dough
- Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the bowl of the mixer.
- Add the balsamic to the warm milk and mix.
- To the mixer bowl, add the oil and run the mixer at low. Slowly add the milk mixture and form wet dough.
- Turn the mixer on medium speed and knead the dough for about 8 – 10 minutes or until it is smooth and soft.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours or until double in volume.
Shaping the buns
- Grease a round baking tray with butter and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down gently and divide into 2 equal parts
- Divide the 2 parts into 4 parts (total of 8)
- Roll out one part on a floured surface into a rough 5 – 6 inches disk/circle.
- Brush the circle with softened butter and sprinkle ½ tsp. sugar evenly.
- Set aside and repeat the same with the remaining parts
- Layer 4 disks one on top of another to create 2 sets
- Roll each set together in a jelly roll style.
- Cut the log into 6 even pieces with a sharp knife and place them on the greased baking pan leaving a little space between each roll.
- Cover the shaped disks and let it rise again for about 1 ½ hours until puffy and they fill the entire baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Once the buns have risen, brush them with milk and bake for about 20 -25 minutes. Mine took exactly 25 minutes.