Pesto Puff Pastry Christmas Tree Appetizer
This recipe for savory puff pastry filled with pesto sauce and then shaped into a Christmas tree makes the perfect appetizer this holiday season!
- 1 - (17.3 oz) package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons Fresh Basil Pesto or your preferred pesto sauce.
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds for decoration (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on top of the parchment paper and spread the pesto sauce all over.
- Unfold the second sheet of puff pastry and place on top of the first sheet of puff pastry. Press gently to seal the two sheets together.
- Cut out puff pastry in the shape of a Christmas tree. Reserve the extra pieces.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut slits on both sides of the tree spacing them about 0.5-inch apart, leaving the center intact. Then, twist each strip of pastry twice or three times, pressing the ends into the baking sheet. Repeat with the puff pastry leftovers and place on a different baking sheet.
- Brush pastry with egg yolk mixed with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Allow it to cool slightly and enjoy as a pull-apart appetizer!