Tuscan Roasted Artichokes
- 2 quarts water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 large artichokes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Tuscan Herb extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 lemon wedges
- Set the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat to 475ºF
- Fill a large bowl with water and lemon juice.
- Prepare artichokes by using a knife to cut off about 1-inch of leaves from the top of the artichoke.
- Trim the stem by ¾-inches in length. Pull off the bottom 3 to 4 rows of the tough outer leaves.
- Use kitchen shears to trim any sharp tips on the remaining leaves.
- Using a small knife, trim the tough dark green outer layer of the stem and base.
- Cut the artichokes in half through the center.
- Use a spoon to remove the hairy choke and any purple-colored leaves.
- Immediately transfer the cut artichokes cut side down in the lemon water.
- Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
- Coat the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the artichokes from the lemon water, shaking off any excess moisture, it’s ok if the leaves are still wet.
- Place artichokes cut side up in the baking pan. Evenly drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Carefully rub the olive oil, salt, and pepper between the artichoke leaves.
- Flip the artichokes over, cut side down. Cover tightly with foil and then place in the oven.
- Roast until the cut-sides are golden-brown and the outer leaves and base can be easily pierced with a fork, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Season artichokes with more salt and pepper and serve warm with lemon wedges.