For the sweet potato mixture:
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 3-4 large sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Vermont Maple Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
For the marshmallow topping:
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- If starting with whole sweet potatoes, pierce them with a fork and bake until tender, about 45-60 minutes. Once cooled, peel and mash.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar, melted butter, milk, balsamic, cinnamon, nutmeg, and eggs. Stir until well mixed and smooth.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until the casserole is heated through.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the mini marshmallows evenly over the top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden brown and puffy.
- Serve warm as a delightful side dish that pairs wonderfully with savory mains, and watch as it becomes the star of your holiday spread!
This classic casserole combines the rich, creamy texture of sweet potatoes with the gooey, sweet goodness of marshmallows for a dish that's sure to please both kids and adults alike. My Father-in-Law loved this recipe!