This Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole is a family favorite! Everyone loves it and the leftovers are excellent too! Serve with tortilla chips or by itself and garnish with your favorite toppings.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Baklouti Green Chili Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 cup corn frozen kernels
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
Topping ideas: Sliced green onions, avocado, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, cilantro, radish slices, or jalapeño slices.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the peppers and corn. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa and black beans. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Pour in the enchilada sauce and stir. Add ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Pour the black bean and quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and edges are bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with toppings, if desired. Serve warm.