My Dad's Corned beef and cabbage
My Dad loved his corned beef and cabbage! Simple meal but it was one of his favorites.
- 3-5-pound beef brisket (fat trimmed)
- 3 pounds of small Red or 4 Yukon Large Gold Potatoes (quartered)
- 1 cabbage, cut into large chunks
- Carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (good for cooking)
- Salt to taste (1-2 tablespoons to boil the beef)
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Butter Olive Oil
- 1-2 quarts Water
- Mustard for dipping
- Add beef, Salt and onions to a slow cooker. Add enough water to just cover the corned beef. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove and let sit for 15 minutes.
- To make potatoes, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Season with salt, pepper, and a little butter, about 2 tablespoons if desired.
- To make carrots, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and add carrots, drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- To make cabbage, add 2 inches of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add cabbage and boil covered for about 8-10 minutes, gently stirring cabbage once. Drain cabbage, add it back to the pot. Add 2 tablespoons butter olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and gently stir.
- To serve, slice corned beef against the grain or it should all just fall apart into chunks and serve with Cabbage, Potatoes, Carrots and Mustard for dipping.