Blood Orange Chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Gravenstein Apple White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless chicken thighs cut in bite size pieces
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut in 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small bunch scallions (chopped, whites separated from greens)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- In a small saucepan, bring the orange zest and juice. stock, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, ginger and marmalade to a low boil. Stir often for about 10 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp Olive oil. In a bowl whisk the egg whites, cornstarch and salt. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Add the chicken to the heated pan and cook 3-5 minutes per side, until cooked through and golden crisp. Transfer to a plate.
- Add a Tablespoon EVOO to the skillet and stir fry the broccoli for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, scallion whites and stir fry 2-3 more minutes. Add the sauce, chicken, and toasted sesame oil. Stir until heated through (about 2 minutes). Serve over rice and top with scallion greens.
Adapted from Rachel Ray Orange Chicken with Broccoli & Peanuts