Garlic Scape Pesto
For a few magical weeks each summer you can find garlic scapes at your local farmer’s markets. These curlicued wonders are the top of the garlic bulb, what you see growing above ground. They have a wonderful garlicky flavor that really punches up a pesto! Try this before they’re gone!Ingredients:
- 10-12 garlic scapes
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (can substitute with walnuts, almonds or cashews)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or other parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut garlic scapes just below bulb and discard the bulbs. Slice scapes into 2” pieces.
- Place scapes in food processor or blender, along with remaining ingredients, except olive oil.
- With processor or blender running, drizzle olive oil in a stream into the mixture until all ingredients are well blended.
Serve as a dip, with pasta, or fresh grilled vegetables! This pesto freezes extremely well and will keep frozen for months in an airtight container.