Espresso Barbecue Sauce -The Olive Oil and Vinegar Lovers Cookbook
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red or serrano chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp robust, Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups tomato ketchup
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ! cup Espresso dark balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic, and chili in the olive oil until the onion is translucent and soft, 3-5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until thick, about 30 minutes. The longer the sauce simmers and reduces, the more intense the flavor. Feel free to use this immediately, but the flavors really meld if you let it sit overnight.
- Keep this in airtight jars in the fridge for up to 4 months.
Makes 6 cups