Whole Roasted Chicken
This is seriously the easiest whole roasted chicken recipe! The skin is perfectly crisp, there’s no basting, and you are left with a delicious pan gravy at the end. The best part is the leftovers for weekend sandwiches and soups!
- 4–6-pound whole chicken neck and giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons Tuscan Herb Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Old Quebec Butcher's Rub
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse your chicken with cold water inside and out and dry well with paper towels.
- Combine olive oil with spices in small bowl and mix well. Rub half of your spice mix under the skin of the breast side and back side. Rub the remaining spices on the outside of your chicken.
- Using some kitchen twine, tie up the chicken legs and wings. This makes for more uniform cooking.
- Place your chicken breast side up in an oven safe skillet or roasting pan. Place in your preheated oven and immediately reduce the heat to 375 degrees.
- Roast your chicken for approximately 20 minutes per pound, or until the temperature of the breast meat registers at 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes in the pan. After the chicken has cooled, remove to a cutting board, and let rest for an additional 10 minutes before carving (reserve the pan drippings in the pan to make your gravy).
- While the chicken is cooling on the cutting board, defat your pan drippings by skimming the top with a spoon and reserving only the solids in the pan. Place your pan on your stove burner over medium-high heat, add ¼ cup white wine or vermouth. Reduce this mixture by about half.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small mason jar or Tupperware and shake well to combine. Add this mixture to your reduced drippings and heat until the gravy has thickened. Serve over your carved chicken and enjoy!