Mediterranean Chicken for Mike's Birthday
Mike's Birthday is today and to keep him healthy, we are having this delicious chicken dish!
- Extra virgin olive oil, for skillet (any variety)
- 1 ½ pounds whole boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 fillets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Pour enough olive oil into an oven proof skillet to generously coat the bottom. Heat the oil over medium heat until the oil shimmers, about 2 to 3 minutes. While the oil heats up, generously season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Carefully place the chicken breasts into the pan starting with the end closest to you to avoid splattering hot oil on yourself. Allow the chicken breasts to brown without moving them, so that a nice golden-brown crust forms, about 3 to 4 minutes.
When the chicken is a nice golden color turn it over, drizzle the chicken directly with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Top each breast fillet with feta cheese, peppers, and black olives. Pour the vegetable broth around the chicken breasts and drizzle the chicken breasts with remaining lemon juice. Place the skillet in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until juice runs clear.
To serve, spoon some of the broth from the skillet and drizzle over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy!
--- Adapted from TheMountainKitchen