- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 cups solid-pack pumpkin (canned)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (low-salt)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (dried)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (divided)
- pepitas (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth, sugar, allspice, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. Bring the soup to a simmer, thinning with coconut milk to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the pepita seeds, drizzle with a teaspoon of coconut milk, and serve.
--- Adapted from Lizzie Fuer