Tuscan Herb Sourdough Bread
This was my first time making bread...so this is not exact and I made a ton of mistakes :-).
I used a baking dish for this first attempt and that is the actual photo! I recommend baking loaves instead.
- 3 cups High Protein bread flour extra for dusting
- 1/4 cup Sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 3/4 cup water room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, mix flour, starter and salt. Add water and stir until blended.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at room temperature for at least 12 hours, or up to 18 to 20 hours.
- The dough will become bubbly. Spread 1/4 cup flour on the work surface. Place the dough onto the floured surface. Sprinkle the top of the dough with more flour. Stretch the dough skyward and fold it over a few times. But don’t overwork the dough.
- Flour your hands and shape the dough into loaves (I made a single loaf the first time).
- Place the loaves on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Dust the top of the loaves with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let them rise for 30 minutes while you pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees.
- A few minutes before it’s time to bake the bread, add a pie pan filled with 1 inch of water to the bottom rack of the oven. Bake the bread on the middle rack for about 20 minutes or until it’s a nice nutty brown.
- Cool on rack and drizzle with Tuscan Olive Oil