Homemade French Rolls
This recipe for homemade French rolls is the best! They are warm and fluffy on the inside, crusty on the outside, and SUPER easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 2 ½ cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons Butter Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, mix 4 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add hot water (I get it as hot as my tap will get) and oil. Mix until smooth. Scrape sides. Stir in the remaining flour and mix well.
- Leave in mixing bowl, let rest 10 minutes. Turn mixer on to stir down dough, about 30 seconds (or stir down dough manually with a large spoon). Let rest again for 10 minutes, repeat 3 more times. Turn out dough onto floured board. Knead once or twice until lightly coated with flour. Divide dough in half and from each half, cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a ball and place on greased baking sheet. Let raise 30 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg white and with a sharp knife score across the top of the dough gently and quickly with firm pressure.
- It can also be formed into 2 loaves and score the dough diagonally 3 times.
- Bake at 400ºF for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with butter or olive oil and enjoy!