Beef Barley Soup
This dish is exactly what you need on a cold winter night. This soup will bring all the warmth you need to enjoy as a family. Find more recipes like this in our favorite cookbook The Olive Oil and Vinegar Lovers Cookbook.
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 4 Tbsp Garlic Olive Oil, divided
- 1 red onion
- 4 carrots chopped
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 1/4 cup Neapolitan Herb Dark Balsamic
- 6 cups beef broth
- Pat the stewing beef dry on all sides and bring to room temperature.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, warm half the olive oil and brown the meat, searing on all sides. Be careful not to crowd the pot, you might want to work in batches.
- Chop potatoes and carrots into 1" cubes and pre-cook to your preferred tenderness.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and sauté the onions and garlic until just translucent.
- Add the barley, carrots, potatoes and toss to coat in the onions, garlic, and olive oil.
- Deglaze the pot with the balsamic, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the bottom.
- Pour in the broth and then the browned meat, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, until the barley is cooked and puffed. Enjoy!