Strawberry Basil Ice Cream
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: Food Processor
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Basil Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chopped fresh strawberries
- Bring milk, cream, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar just to a simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a medium bowl until pale, for about 2 minutes.
- Very slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture into yolks to temper. Then whisk tempered yolks mixture into remaining milk base in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 2-3 minutes.
- Strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl and let cool.
- Stir in Basil Olive Oil and vanilla extract.
- Once cooled pour into a gallon size zip bag and push out all the air. Lay flat and freeze 'til firm.
- Break up custard and run through a food processor until it resembles soft serve ice cream, then stir in desired amount of strawberries.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 2-3 hours or until it firms to the proper consistency.