Blood Orange Salted Caramel Pudding
Ok...I know I missed Halloween for this one but how about Thanksgiving sans the gummy worms :-)
For those who know me...a dessert in less than 20 minutes. Garnish with whipped cream or shaved chocolate.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ½ tsp ground Cinnamon
- ½ Vanilla bean, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp Truffle Salt
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 8-10 gummy treats (made for the season)
- In a deep saucepan over medium heat, add sugar and water, stirring to combine. Cook sugar mixture for 7-8 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved and becomes a light amber color. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in 3 cups milk into sugar mixture. Once hardened, you will have your Caramel....continue whisking until caramel dissolves and is smooth. Stir in orange zest and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ½ cup milk, whipping cream, olive oil, vanilla bean seeds, salt and cornstarch and set aside.
- Move saucepan back to medium low heat and stir until caramel colors darkens further, about 5-6 minutes. Slowly begin whisking in cornstarch mixture, whisking until combined. Cook for 3-4 more minutes until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in extra salt to taste for a salted caramel pudding and whisk in Grand Marnier (again optional).
- Pour pudding into a containers and cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Chill pudding before serving.
- Divide ½ chocolate cookie crumbs among 4 glasses/mason jars. Divide pudding among jars, and finish with the remaining cookie crumbs.